Thursday, January 25, 2007

BEING HERE

Sometimes being an iwi insider can be a pain. Like when I hear the words “mai ra ano” as an explanation for why things can or will never change. Don’t get me wrong, I get a kick out of being here and I value those traditions that give shape and meaning to this life. But even paradise can start to pall if things forever remain the same. So I’m really grateful to be something of a magnet for quirky people.


They challenge, exasperate and bug the heck out of me … and yet I must like being here with them because I have no trouble telling people to permanently go away, and I’ve yet to do that with any of them.

There’s my old mate, a Pakeha, who has for years annoyed me with his korero about a “third way” which, according to him, will result as we in this country move from being either western (read Pakeha) or eastern (insert Maori) to this “third way.” He was bad enough on his own then he met and joined up with one of my Kaumatua. Together they prove the theory that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I don’t happen to agree with hardly a thing they have to say … and yet I admire their passion and commitment to the “third way” that they now actively promote throughout the motu.

Another man I worked with was a chronic boozer who, after decades of marriage, had to build himself a custom-made “dogbox” in which to sleep off his benders because his former one got totaled one morning by a visiting horse. I think it involved the horse’s head. Not long after that he and a pal established a political party and their meetings were always in the office I shared with him. I never heard such learned discussions before … nor since. He exasperated me no end with what I saw as an utter waste of one of the best intellects ever to visit this earth … and yet I always felt energized when he was around. God rest his pickled soul.

If you have an hour or a day to spare I recommend you spend it with another mate of mine to just listen to him alternatively korero i te reo Maori and English. You say you don’t speak or understand te reo? Believe me it won’t matter, you won’t get much more than an edgeways word in every now and then anyway. But sit with him long enough and I promise you this – you will learn so much more than you ever thought possible about yourself. Many of my other quirky mates would tell you not to waste your time … and yet his challenging company remains a stimulus for some of their own best thinking moments.



I make no apologies to my well-loved friends who have either been included or excluded from this column. You are truly awesome people so don’t feel anything but pride if I’ve shared some thoughts about you, because you are the point, the reason and even the message for today.

Being here is a privilege. It doesn’t last long. Think about that. That’s one thing that quirky people do really well. Instead of rejecting the possibilities with a “mai ra ano” they think in unlimited ways. They are the ones who give me hope that it might actually still be possible to have an original thought. You know – the kind that produced the wheel and changed the world. Let’s face it, there’s precious little of it happening anymore. But if it does happen it’ll come from one of them. It may even come from one of you. And that would make any pain well worthwhile. God willing.

Hei konei Hei kona.

No comments: